They're free, but use at your own risk
The scripts referenced here are used in the operation of this weather station, and may be freely copied and used to support your station. Please note that you use these scripts at your own risk. No warranty is expressed or implied. I accept no liability for any damages that may ensue from their use.
You will need to configure them for your own particular weather station website.
A RSS Feed is available to help keep you informed on updates to the scripts.
A Version History is available -- check back from time to time to see if there are updates to scripts you have downloaded earlier.
Announcements of version updates and new scripts are made on
and saratogaWXPHP Twitter account as they become available.
This page was updated
Saturday, 22-Apr-2017 2:30 PM
PHP/AJAX Website Template Set - installation
Note: As distributed, the template files are expected to be located in the document root of your website and the required subdirectories located below the document root. It is possible to use the templates from a subdirectory if the identical directory substructure is maintained and you continue to have URL and FILE relative addressing consistent (as it is now). You may be required to make additional changes that are not documented in the instructions if you wish to use the templates in a subdirectory.
The installation and configuration of the template set is fairly straightforward using these steps:
- Make sure your website can run PHP (check it here). These templates require PHP5.x. Make sure that allow_url_fopen is enabled in the php.ini file.. some of the scripts may use this feature. The default PHP5 setting for this is allow_url_fopen = off.
- Make a local backup of your current website to a .zip file or a subdirectory. You don't need to do this if you have no preexisting weather website
- Download the selected Base template set appropriate to your geographical location and unpack it (preserving the directory structure) to the offline copy of your weather website.
- Download the selected weather software Plugin .zip and unpack it (preserving directory structure) to the same directory as your Base template offline copy of your weather website.
[see Version History]
- Download the Icons for your weather forecast program.
Use the Saratoga or Meteotreviglio Icons for USA, Canada [if you have WXSIM], World .
If you have advforecast2.php, WU-forecast.php or WXSIM plaintext-parser.php already installed on your existing website, you can reuse your existing /forecast/images icons.
For Canada, if you already have the ec-forecast.php script installed on your existing website, you can reuse your existing /ec-icons images, otherwise download the Canada ec-icons.
- Edit the Settings.php file and perform the Base template-specific configuration.
Settings.php configuration for: Base-USA, Base-Canada, Base-World
- Edit the Settings-weather.php file and perform the weather software-specific setup, including the setup of your weather software to upload the required [WXname]tags.php file and the realtime file(s) used for the AJAX updates to your website.
The detailed instructions are found in the
WXtags-template-files/README.txt file from the weather software plugin .ZIP file and at the links below. If you change directory names or units-of-measure from the defaults in the Settings.php and Settings-weather.php files, make the corresponding changes to the ajax[WXname]wx.js file in your site
Settings-weather.php configuration for:
Cumulus, Meteobridge, Meteohub, VWS, Weather-Display, WeatherLink, WeatherLink.com, WeatherCat, WeatherSnoop, wview, WxSolution
Setup instructions for:
Cumulus, Meteobridge, Meteohub, VWS, Weather-Display, WeatherLink, WeatherCat, WeatherSnoop, wview, WxSolution
- Edit the top.php file to make changes to the site <meta> tags if necessary.
To keep your website XHTML 1.0-Transitional, make sure new <meta> tags are self terminated with attributes in lower case
<meta content-type="... />
- Edit the wxabout.php page to include the description of your weather station and your town.
For Canada and World template, edit the English in wxabout.php, and edit the wxabout-LL.html files for each language you plan to offer on your website.
- For the World template, edit the wxradar.php and wxadvisory.php pages to have content from your national meterological service.
- For the USA template, follow these instructions to setup the wxradar.php page by configuring WX-radar-inc.php file using the WX-radar-testpage.php?show=loc.
- If you're in the Southern Hemisphere, you might want the moon images that match your view of the sky at night. Use these to replace the images in /ajax-images directory.
Download: Southern Hemisphere Moon Images
- Now you can upload ALL the files/directories to your website using FTP (ASCII mode for all .php, css, .js and txt files, BINARY mode for all .gif, .jpg, .png). Make sure that ALL the files/directories are uploaded to your website.
- View each new page of your site starting with wxindex.php and use the navigation links to navigate all pages. Your website should be ready for use.
When you've decided that the new site is to be made 'live', then use these steps to have it become the primary display.
- Rename (on your local disk) wxindex.php to index.php
- Edit flyout-menu.xml for flyout-menu to replace wxindex.php with index.php in the link.
- Upload flyout-menu.xml and index.php to your website.
To customize a new page on your weather website, just do the following simple procedure:
- On your local copy of the website, copy wxnewpage.php to a new filename and retain the .php extension.
- Edit the new .php page to insert your own content.
- Upload the new page to your website, and browse to it manually using it's name in the browser location bar.
- When satisfied that it works well (and validates by clicking the 'valid XHTML' link at the bottom of the page), carefully edit flyout-menu-test.xml and insert an <item /> entry for the new page.
- Upload the flyout-menu-test.xml file to your site.
- Browse to any page on your site, and add ?menu=test to the end of the URL in the browser bar and load the page.
- If the menu item shows up as you expect, then copy flyout-menu-test.xml over flyout-menu.xml and upload flyout-menu.xml to your site to make the new page live.
After you have implemented your AJAX/PHP website...
Remember the date you downloaded your Base and Plugin .zip files. Then use that date on the updates page along with your Base and Plugin type to query for files that may need updating. That makes it easy to maintain your website with current versions of all the scripts and features released since you installed your copies. It is important to check the updates page regularly as scripts may need changes to keep up with external website changes and additions of new features. If a page was working, then stops working, then that is a good time to check for updates.
Optional Language Plugins
These languages are already included in the Base-World template. They can be used to add one or more languages to the Base-USA or Base-Canada templates.
Note: the plugins listed below are from the original WD/AJAX/PHP World-ML set of translations and so some items may NOT be translated in them. After installation on your Base-Canada or Base-USA, adjust your Settings.php for the new language(s), then use the multilingual feature page for directions on how to find/fix missing translation items.